September 24, 2008

The Freedom of Being Healthy

Dear ZOOMA Runners and Run/Walkers,

A couple nights a week I coach a group of women who are just getting into (or getting back into) running. Last night, as I worked with my run walk group, I realized something--for the woman who feels so miserable in her skin because she has let herself go, the courage it must take to get off her butt and exercise is incredible. As I hugged each new member of my group, I told them how amazing they were to be out there sweating with me.

We had women in their 20's to women in their 60's learning how to run. To be honest, half of them seemed very uncomfortable being there last night. As a professional coach and trainer, I do understand how they must feel. I know some wouldn't think I have ever felt this way because I have always been active and I am an avid runner. . . but the same type of intimidation has been a barrier for me only in a different way.

As a collegiate athlete, it was very intimidating approaching the start line of a race with world class runners . . . but I did it. Once the gun went off, it was just me and the watch and the intimidation was gone. Don't let intimidation be your barrier to the freedom of being healthy!

One of the women really stood out to me last night . . . Before we even got started, she stated that she would only be able to run two 30-second intervals and that she would walk the rest. She was very intimidated and nervous, but I told her she could give me more than that and to test her body. With a little motivation from the rest of us, she ran 10 intervals of 30-60 seconds of running. Afterwards, she was smiling ear to ear and couldn't beleive she did it.

Going into your training plan with a really positive attitude or finding others to exercise with you for the encouragement will change EVERYTHING about your workout. YOU are the one that needs to make the time to exercise. YOU are the one that needs to stay consistent or get back on track. And . . . YOU, your family, your job, and your relationships will reap the benefits of your health!

Keep up the great work with ZOOMA. This hard work will pay off!

With love and inspiration,
Gracie

No comments: